Fire Extinguisher Types
Fire extinguishers are tools for the immediate squelching of flame as a means of self-preservation and fire prevention. They are not a substitute for emergency calls to the fire department, and they certainly do not supersede a properly maintained fire protection system.
No one type can be considered a “universal” fire extinguisher, and thus there are several fire extinguisher types.
The type of fire hazard determines if you need a class A, B, C, D or K extinguisher for given use. When choosing a fire extinguisher for your home, office or other setting, bear in in mind what type of fire hazard you’re most likely to encounter before making your choice. A list of fire extinguisher types follows:
- A class A fire extinguisher is for “ordinary” combustible materials, though this description is somewhat misleading. Paper, wood, and other flammable hydrocarbons are defined in this category as “ordinary.” At a glance, look for a green triangle.
- A class B fire extinguisher is for extinguishing flammable liquids like gasoline or kerosene, and can also be used on cooking oils, although these are not considered kitchen fire extinguishers. Look for a red square.
- A class C fire extinguisher is for electrical equipment and wiring. This includes appliances and computers. Class C extinguishers use non-conductive material to put out the fire. Look for a blue circle.
- Class D fire extinguishers are unusual in home applications since they are for combustible metals like magnesium. They carry a yellow decagon as their symbol, and they’re mostly found in laboratory settings.
- Class K fire extinguishers are, as their lettering suggests, for kitchens. Class K extinguishers are specially designed to be used on fats, oils, and the appliances they may be stuck in. Look for the distinctive black
When you’re one of the top fire protection contractor companies in Southern California, fire extinguisher inspection is a relatively simple procedure. Call Fire Protection Group, Inc. today at (888)251-3488 to learn more about this service, and others.